Important to Remember
- All Secondary School/Counselor Reports required by private colleges and out-of-state public universities MUST be processed by the College & Career Center, including counselor letters that are written by a guidance counselor instead of by th College Advisors.
- Fee waivers for tests and applications are available for students who meet the financial eligibility requirements - Contact the College & Career Center for details.
PAY CLOSE ATTENTION TO ALL TESTING AND APPLICATION DEADLINES
SPRING / SUMMER/ FALL: College Search & Research
- Check out books, DVD's, and CD ROM software in the College and Career Center about Colleges
- Check out web sites
- Register with colleges to get information and applications
- Check out books that have annotated descriptions of colleges
- SET UP CAMPUS VISITS The best way to get a feel for a college is to go visit. The best time to visit colleges is while they are in session, i.e. during the Spring Break or next fall. However, admissions offices are open during the summer and information sessions and tours are scheduled on a regular basis. It is also possible to schedule interviews during the summer.
- Develop a list of schools that include 2-3 safety schools; 2-3 target schools; 2-3 reach schools.
- Complete "Brag Sheet" in spring of junior year. Accessible on-line at http://www.samohi.smmusd.org/Future/bragsheet/.
- Make an appointment before school ends with Mr. Gatell (A-K) or Ms. Honda (L-Z) to review your college search.
- Make an appointment ( after Oct. 1st) with the College Counselor in the College & Career Center to review your "Brag Sheet" and college search choices. Even if you decide to work with an independent College Counselor, you will need a letter of recommendation from a school counselor, either from your Student Support Advisor or one of the college advisors.
- Pick up and review an "unofficial" transcript ( cost is $3). Verify that all grades are correct and recorded. The "official" transcript (cost is an additional $3 per request) that you will give to the College & Career Center to send to private colleges and out-of-state public universities comes in a sealed envelope that cannot be opened by the student or parent. You will need a separate "official" transcript for each application you send.
- Register for ACT, SAT Reasoning Test, or SAT Subject Tests.
- If you haven't yet, pick up and review an "unofficial" transcript (see above).
- Fill out College Scholarship Service Profile (CSS) - Financial Aid Form for Private Colleges (available in the College and Career Center or online at: https://profileonline.collegeboard.com/index.jsp)
- Register for SAT Reasoning & Subject Tests (www.collegeboard.com) and ACT (www.act.org).
- Sign up for the College Representative Presentations at Samohi The schedule is online at http://www.samohi.smmusd.org/Calendars/visits.html
- PURGE, SORT AND FILE - Go through all the envelopes that have been sent to you by every college you have ever shown an interest in.
- Eliminate those that are no longer of interest.
- Sort the colleges according Reach, Target, & Safety
- File - put all information you 've gathered about individual colleges in separate files. Write down essay questions on a note card, carry extra note cards with you to jot down ideas about specific questions - this will help you organize the essay later
- Gather information you will need to fill out applications:
- Your Social Security Number
- Samohi 's School Code Number - 053320 (CEEB code)
- Your school activities and academic/athletic awards
- Extracurricular activities (jobs, internships, community service)
- Decide if you want to apply Early Decision or Early Action anywhere
- Prepare estimated Year taxes for Early Decision Financial Aid Applications
- October 1 - Deadline for Brag Sheets for Early Decision/Early Action applications turned into the College and Career Center with Secondary School/Counselor Report, official transcripts, and addressed 9x12 envelopes.
- October 1 - Give Teacher Recommendation Forms to Teachers with stamped and addressed envelopes with date due to college for Early Decision/Early Action applications (and don't forget to thank them for writing your recommendation!).
- Sign up for SAT Reasoning & Subject Tests and ACT.
- Sign up for the College Representative Presentations at Samohi
- UC Applications and Cal State Applications will be available online. Start early!
- October 2 - ATTEND COLLEGE FAIR at Santa Monica Civic Auditorium
- Continue to jot down notes on your essays - Samohi English teachers will be assisting students in class on their personal statement essays in October & November
- October 30 Attend Financing a College Education Workshop
- November 1 Deadline for Brag Sheets for Regular-Decision applications turned into the College and Career Center.
- Review your "thought cards" for the essay questions and write final drafts for essay questions - Leave time for minor revisions
- Give Teacher Recommendation Forms to Teachers with a stamped and addressed envelope with date due to college (and don 't forget to thank them for writing your recommendation!)
- Sign up for SAT Reasoning & Subject Tests and ACT.
- Sign up for the College Representative Presentations at Samohi.
- November 30 - UC and Cal State Applications Due Online.
- January 12 -- Financial Aid Workshop
- January 15 -- Mid-Year Reports required by Private Colleges Due to College and Career Center.
- January 15 -- deadline to submit SSN for Cal Grant
- Prepare Year 2008 taxes for FAFSA Financial Aid forms (or 2007 return if 2008 is not available).
- February 7 - Cash for College workshop at 9:00 a.m.
- March 1 - Samohi Scholarship Applications Due
- March 2 - FAFSA Applications Due
- Plan campus visits and overnights at schools where accepted.
- May 1 -Submit your Intent of Admission to the school you will be attending in the fall
- June 1 -Request for Final Transcript and envelope due in College & Career Center
- June 1 - Final Senior Survey Due to the College and Career Center
- June 2 - Senior Honors Ceremony
- June ? - Application workshop & Assessment Test for students attending SMC.