|Although students generally must attend school in the district and school where their residence has been established, the Santa Monica-Malibu Unified School District (SMMUSD) Board of Education recognizes justifiable reasons for interdistrict permits. Upon request, the Superintendent or designee may accept students from other districts who seek to enroll in SMMUSD.
New interdistrict permits will be issued IF SPACE IS AVAILABLE to:
- Intradistrict Permit Student residing within the boundaries of SMMUSD seeking to enroll in a school other than the school of residence.
- Program Improvement Student currently attending a SMMUSD school identified for program improvement seeking to enroll in a school not identified for program improvement.
- SMMUSD Employee Child of a SMMUSD employee: certificated, classified, management, full and part-time (minimum of 15 hours per week).
- Change of Residence Current student in “good standing” who has attended school(s) in SMMUSD for a minimum of three complete school years.
- Sibling Sibling of a current interdistrict permit holder(s).
- International High School Student Student is an international high school student legally permitted to attend school in the United States.
- City Employee Child of a City of Malibu or City of Santa Monica employee.
- Santa Monica College Employee Child of a permanent Santa Monica College (SMC) employee.
- Alumni Child of an alumnus of Santa Monica High School, Malibu High School or Olympic High School.
- Grandparent Grandchild of an individual(s) who lives within the boundaries of SMMUSD for a minimum of five years.
- Employed within SMMUSD Boundaries Child of an individual(s) working within the boundaries of SMMUSD.
- Other Student requesting admittance who does not meet the criteria for another type of permit.
Guidelines previously applied to SMASH, Edison, including the immersion program through Grade Eight, and our preschools will remain in effect.
Interdistrict Permit FAQ
How can eligible families apply for new Interdistrict Permits?
Students who reside outside the boundaries of SMMUSD may apply to attend school in SMMUSD on an interdistrict permit (interdistrict transfer release) from their school of residence. This information applies to students who do not live in Santa Monica or Malibu who seek to enroll in a SMMUSD school.
Approval is subject to space, budget and staff availability; and the terms and conditions stipulated in BP 5117. All applications will be treated in a fair and consistent manner. Student Services will notify applicants who are approved for an interdistrict transfer and applicants whose applications are denied.
What about students already in the district on a permit?
All students currently attending on an interdistrict permit will be allowed to remain in the District until they leave or Graduate, assuming that they uphold appropriate standards of behavior and attendance.
How do current permit holders renew their permits?
Students who are currently enrolled in the Santa Monica-Malibu School District on an interdistrict permit will be allowed to remain in the district provided they maintain appropriate standards of attendance and behavior. Renewal letters will be sent to parents of these students at the end of February. The letter will provide specific instructions on how to renew, and the renewal deadline. All renewals will be handled by the Permit Office.
Where Can I Get More Information?
Contact Kimberley Curry in the Permit Office at 310-450-8338 x70127