New Student Enrollment Procedure and Requirements

(Parent must accompany student to register.)
  1. PROOF OF AGE - Original birth certificate or valid passport.
  2. IMMUNIZATION/HEALTH EXAM VERIFICATION - Includes proof of all immunizations from your doctor or the health department. This form must be signed by a health care provider and needs his/her office stamp.
  3. ELL TESTING - If your child speaks English as a second language, testing will be done, if the Home Language Survey form indicates a need.
  5. RESIDENCY VERIFICATION - Santa Monica High School may ONLY enroll students whose Parent or Legal Guardian resides within school district boundaries (Education Code Section 48204). Residence verification is a parent responsibility and falsification of information will be grounds for immediate cancellation of enrollment. There can only be one residence (Government Code Section 244). If parents live separately, the parent awarded custody and control of the child establishes the residence. Please provide copies regarding custody.
    Present TWO of the following items to verify your name and home address:
    ·         Current Electric and Southern California Gas Bills
    Current Electric Bill
    Current Electric and Water/Trash Bills
    Must show parent name and service connection address. In addition, periodic home checks may be done.
    RENTAL AGREEMENTS, RENT RECEIPTS, OR TELEPHONE BILLS ARE NOT sufficient proof of residency, unless accompanied by additional verification. You must present at least three (3) other acceptable documents listed below:
  • Provide a current letter on PROPERTY MANAGEMENT COMPANY LETTERHEAD ONLY stating utilities are included in the rent.
  • Current computer printout of DMV Car Registration (where you reside). (When you move, you must give your new address to the DMV within 10 days. IT'S THE LAW)
  • Current Car Insurance Statement (at home, where you reside)
  • Current Bank Statement (checking or savings - not checks)
  • Current Verification of Residence Service Letter from So. Cal Edison **
  • Current Verification of Residence Service Letter from So. Cal. Gas **
  • Current Moving Company Receipt from Prior Address to New Address
  • California Identification Card
  • Voter Registration Card
** Must show parent name, address and date of service followed by utility bill presented to school within thirty (30) days. (THIS LETTER MUST BE ON THEIR LETTERHEAD.)
Escrow papers WITH CLOSING DATE WITHIN 60 DAYS AND NO CONTINGENCIES may be considered at the beginning of a school year.

Enrollment Coordinator:
Dina Mendoza, 310-395-3204 X71546

Enrollment Hours: Monday to Friday
8:30 -11:00 AM and 1:30 - 2:30 PM

Grad Nite

Parking & Visiting at Samohi

Registration (new or permit)


Tips for Graduation Day

Volunteer Opportunities


On February 20, 2003 the Board of Education of the Santa Monica-Malibu School District approved the interdistrict permit policy for the 2003-2004 school year which includes a one-year moratorium on accepting new interdistrict permits. Effective September 2003, there is a moratorium on the receipt of all interdistrict attendance permits with the following exceptions:

New interdistrict permits will be issued IF SPACE IS AVAILABLE to:

  1. Employees of the Santa Monica Malibu School District
  2. Siblings of students currently on permit, who are entering a the beginning of the elementary, middle, or high school level, i.e. grades Kindergarten or 1st, 6th, or 9th.
  3. Employees of the City of Santa Monica and the City of Malibu
  4. SMMUSD students in good standing who were residents of Santa Monica or Malibu during the 2001-2002 school year, and subsequently move to another city, will be allowed to remain in the Santa Monica-Malibu School District as permit students upon receiving a permit from their district of residence.
  5. Guidelines previously applied to the preschools, SMASH, and Edison, including the Immersion Program through Grade 8, will remain in effect.

Interdistrict Permit FAQ

How can eligible families apply for new Interdistrict Permits?
Parents of students who are eligible for new interdistrict permits (see above) may place their children on a waiting list by coming to the District Office to register with Maggie Hanson. Parents who are employed by the school district or the city of Santa Monica or Malibu must bring a current pay stub from their employer to be placed on the waiting list.

The Permit Office will contact parents if there is an opening. At that time the parent must obtain a permit (release) from the school district of residence and bring it to the Permit Office. Permit Office hours are: Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday from 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM. Closed Tuesdays.

What about students already in the district on a permit?
All students currently attending on an interdistrict permit wil be allowed to remain in the District until they leave or Graduate, assuming that they uphold appropriate standards of behavior and atendance.

How do current permit holders renew their permits?
Students who are currently enrolled in the Santa Monica-Malibu School District on an interdistrict permit will be allowed to remain in the district provided they maintain appropriate standards of attendance and behavior. Renewal letters will be sent to parents of these students at the end of April. The letter will provide specific instructions on how to renew, and the renewal deadline. All renewals will be handled by the Permit Office.

Where Can I Get More Information?
Contact Kim Curry in the Permit Office at 310-450-8338 x70208