Summer Reading for 2013
Over the summer, Samohi students are required to read two books. You can get the books from a library or bookstore. (Santa Monica Public Library branches will have many copies.) Then help your child make time to read thema daily half-hour is perfectand ask your child regularly about what’s happening. Parents, if you too read the assigned books, the experience will be especially rewardingfor both of you! For complete 2013 Summer Reading information, all required titles, and free-choice recommendations, PLEASE CLICK HERE.
Copies of the specific summer titles are heavily stocked at Santa Monica libraries, and we usually offer them for sale on campus at certain spring events and at August registration. Students in most summer school English classes read the summer books as part of their course curriculum, with the texts supplied by the school.
Here are all of our All-Samo summer reading selections to date: • 2013 The Fault in our Stars by John Green
• 2012 The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls
• 2011 Zeitoun by Dave Eggers
• 2010 A Long Way Gone by Ishmael Beah
• 2009 The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon
• 2008 Enrique's Journey by Sonia Nazario
• 2007 Fast Food Nation/Chew On This by Eric Schlosser
• 2006 Funny in Farsi by Firoozeh Dumas
• 2005 The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon
• 2004 A Yellow Raft in Blue Water by Michael Dorris